A 5 level standard for organizing the workplace. The 5 stages (from most disorganized to most organized) are:
- 1S = “Seiri” = Sort: Separating needed and unnecessary, eliminating unnecessary material
- 2S = “Seiton” = Store: A place for everything & everything in its place
- 3S = “Seiso” = Shine: Cleaning: eliminating dirt, make like new
- 4S = “Seketsu”= Standardize: procedures and responsibilities
- 5S = “Shitsuke” = Sustain: making compliance automatic, a habit
For more Lean Sigma vocabulary check our glossary.