Commitment to Our Clients
- Serving Clients – I will serve my clients with integrity, competence, independence, objectivity, and professionalism and will place the best interest of the client’s organization and public welfare above all others.
- Expectations – I will mutually establish with my clients realistic expectations of the benefits and results of my services.
- Experience and Competence for Engagements – I will only accept assignments for which I possess the requisite experience and competence to perform and will only assign staff or engage colleagues with the knowledge and expertise needed to serve my clients effectively.
- Confirming Engagement Understanding – Before accepting any engagement, I will ensure that I have worked with my clients to establish a mutual understanding of the objectives, scope, work plan, and fee arrangements.
- Confidentiality – I will treat appropriately all confidential client information that is not public knowledge, take reasonable steps to prevent it from access by unauthorized people, and will not take advantage of proprietary or privileged information, either for use by myself, the client’s firm, or another client, without the client’s permission.
- Conflict of Interest – I will avoid conflicts of interest or the appearance of such and will immediately disclose to the client circumstances or interests that I believe may influence my judgment or objectivity.
- Offer to Withdraw – I will offer to withdraw from a consulting assignment when I believe my objectivity or integrity may be impaired.
- Recruiting Client’s Staff – I will refrain from inviting an employee of an active or inactive client to consider alternative employment without prior discussion with the client.
Commitment to Fiscal Integrity
- Basis for Fees – I will agree in advance with a client on the basis for fees and expenses and will charge fees that are reasonable and commensurate with the services delivered and the responsibility accepted.
- Disclosure – I will not accept commissions, remuneration, or other benefits from a third party in connection with the recommendations to a client without that client’s prior knowledge and consent, and I will disclose in advance any financial interests in goods or services that form part of such recommendations.
Commitment to the Public and the Profession
- Wrongdoing – If within the scope of my engagement, I will report to appropriate authorities within or external to the client organization any occurrences of malfeasance, dangerous behavior, or illegal activities.
- Respect for Rights of Others – I will respect the rights of consulting colleagues and consulting firms and will not use their proprietary information or methodologies without permission.
- Representing the Profession – I will represent the profession with integrity and professionalism in my relations with my clients, colleagues, and the general public.
- Deceptive Advertizing – I will not advertise my services in a deceptive manner nor misrepresent or denigrate individual consulting practitioners, consulting firms, or the consulting profession.
- Violations and Code Adherence – If I perceive a violation of the Code, I will report it to the Institute of Management Consultants USA and will promote adherence to the Code by other member consultants working on my behalf.
(c) 2007 Institute of Management Consultants USA