Scientific Method is the systematic observation, measurement, experimentation, formulation, testing, and modification of hypotheses.
Improvement Kata is the repeated practicing a pattern to learn a skill and way of thinking, to become second nature, with little conscious effort.
The Scientific Method is the basis for the Deming Cycle (Shewhart) and Plan-Do-Check-Act.
- Modify hypothesis, or Conclusion
Kata examples include: swimming, riding a bicycle, driving a car. Mastery through repetition. We can do these things without thinking about them. For lean management, building this automatic habit comes from repetition of …
- Understand the Direction (next challenge, goal, target condition)
- Grasp the Current Condition, and Obstacles
- Establish the Next Step (next target condition)
- Go See what we have learned
- Rinse and repeat